So over the past six months I've been exploring what I'm able and what I'm not able to eat/drink. It's definitely a learning process as I'm sure you know. You'd be astonished to learn what things have lactose in them. I'll start with the basics, any milk product from a cow has lactose in it. The one cow product that I am able to have it yogurt. Apparently yogurt contains lactase which is the opposite of lactose in that it helps digest lactose. Milk or cheese from goats, sheep and buffalo are fine since they do not contain lactose in them. Most processed foods will contain some amount of milk in them and especially avoid desserts because they tend to be high in lactose products. I've found that my stomach can handle butter, as well which apparently contains very little loctase. I've also been able to handle some cheeses just honestly depends, like some swiss chesses are ok and some are not it really just depends on the brand or place or restaurant. So that's what I really want to explore here and help you out with.
This blog is generally going to be a Lactose Intolerant Guide to Dining, Eating and Drinking in Washington, DC and hoping to expand to other cities but I'll start small. It is estimated that 75% of adults worldwide show some decrease in lactase activity during adulthood. I want to help out those that are scared to eat out because of lactose intolerance. I want people that go through what I do to have no fear in eating out and start seeing all the positive benefits are removing lactose from your diet.
No comments:
Post a Comment